- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
- Leftover Easter Egg & Hummus Salad
- Blueberry-Ginger Granita
- Spring Lamb Leg, Chickpea, Cucumber & Feta Salad from Plats du Jour
Mediterranean Slaw with Chickpeas and Basil Parmesan Vinaigrette
Posted by Olivia on Mon, June 20, 2011
One word for this summer slaw: irresistible! We can’t quite put a finger on it, but there is something magical about this salad. Maybe it’s the contrasting colors of light green, dark purple, and light yellow, or the sweet, snapping crunch of the farm-fresh veggies, or the so-savory dressing of our Basil Parmesan Dipping Oil. Hard to say what’s so special about this salad, but we guarantee it’s unlike any slaw you’ve ever had.
Chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) give the recipe a strong dose of fiber and protein, so this can work as either a side salad or a lean entrée. Bulk it up with a side of warm cornbread or grilled flatbread for an evening summer meal that’s perfect for patio dining.
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
2 cups cooked chickpeas
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup finely chopped fennel fronds
1/3 cup Basil Parmesan Dipping Oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Serve immediately or chill up to 4 hours.
Makes 4 servings.