- Roasted Corn Slaw with Cilantro Jalapeno Pesto
- Fava Bean, Ricotta, Mint and Limonato Fritters w/ Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
Grilled Flatbread Pizza with Arugula and Fresh Cherries
Posted by Olivia on Tue, June 07, 2011
Flatbread is a great food. It’s usually unleavened, yeast-free bread (but not always) that’s rolled flat and baked until golden and slightly bubbly. Flatbreads are simply wonderful for making pizzas from scratch, especially if you have a grill. The dough gets browned and bubbles up a bit, resulting in a slightly chewy on the inside, crisp on the outside, dough that is delicious with any pizza toppings, traditional or not.
We like our flatbread pizzas made with non-traditional pizza toppings: artisanal cheeses, greens tossed in vinaigrette, and savory fruits and vegetables that make the whole thing pop with flavor. It’s a nice change from the usual Friday night pizza, and it’s actually much lighter to eat—salad meets healthy pizza.
We just came up with this incredible recipe for flatbread pizza with arugula and fresh cherries—it screams early summer! We cheated and used store-bought unbaked pizza dough, which we rolled out and grilled until puffy. Then we slathered a bit of creamy blue cheese on the flatbread, topped it off with peppery arugula tossed in spicy Lunigiana Olive Oil and lemon juice, and finished it off with fresh cherries tossed in our piquant Lemon Pepper Grilling Sauce. Just a few more minutes on the grill to heat the whole thing up, and dinner was ready—and so, so good. Enjoy this summer flatbread pizza day or night!
1 (16-ounce) package or pre-made pizza dough (we used whole wheat)
1 (8-ounce) tub creamy blue cheese (about 1 cup)
3 cups baby arugula
2 cups chopped, pitted fresh cherries
2 tablespoons Lemon Pepper Grilling Sauce
1 tablespoon Organic Lunigiana Olive Oil, plus more for grilling
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Roll out pizza dough to make a long rectangle about 14-by-6-inches. Brush lightly with olive oil on both sides. Grill until light golden and puffy, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and transfer to a large baking sheet or cutting board.
- Meanwhile, toss arugula with 1 tablespoon olive oil and lemon juice in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss cherries with grilling sauce in a separate small bowl.
- Spread cheese evenly over surface of flatbread, leaving a ½-inch border around the edges. Top with arugula in an even layer. Carefully scatter cherries over arugula.
- Transfer flatbread back to grill. Cover and cook until leaves just wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, slice, and serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.