- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
- Leftover Easter Egg & Hummus Salad
- Blueberry-Ginger Granita
- Spring Lamb Leg, Chickpea, Cucumber & Feta Salad from Plats du Jour
Flourless Almond Lemon Bread
Posted by Olivia on Mon, January 24, 2011
Here at The Olive Press, we are smack dab in the middle of pressing citrus olive oils—and what a time this is! This week, we’ve been milling our favorite, Meyer lemons, and you can’t imagine the incredible smells coming out of our mill! We press the whole lemons along with our olives, and the result is nothing short of liquid sunshine. You couldn’t get a truer lemon flavor if you were sucking on a raw lemon (which we don’t recommend you do).
To celebrate our fresh Limonato Olive Oil, we’ve got a recipe that pops with lemon flavor. We’ve been asking folks what kinds of recipes they’d like to see more of, and no surprise—people want healthier versions of classic faves. This recipe’s got all that and more: Flourless Almond Lemon Bread.
Our sweet, crumbly bread is made without regular flour—ground nuts happily take the place of wheat. So you’ve got a gluten-free treat that’s also full of heart-healthy omega 3’s, and lots (and lots) of spunk from our fresh Limonato Olive Oil. Enjoy this one with a cup of tea, coffee, and a big smile.
1 ½ cups whole almonds
4 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar, divided
2 tablespoons Limonato Olive Oil
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil a loaf pan, line with wax paper, and oil again.
- Grind almonds in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Do not overmix or almonds will turn into nut butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar until fluffy. Add oil, zest, vanilla, baking powder, and salt; beat well. Mix in reserved almonds; set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add remaining ¼ cup sugar, beating gently until stiff. Carefully fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture until just combined.
- Spread mixture into prepare loaf pan. Bake about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, ten remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes about 8 slices.