- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
- Leftover Easter Egg & Hummus Salad
- Blueberry-Ginger Granita
- Spring Lamb Leg, Chickpea, Cucumber & Feta Salad from Plats du Jour
BBQ Shrimp & Blue Cheese Slaw
Posted by Olivia on Tue, November 16, 2010
Winter is slowly creeping up on us, and while we usually switch over to hot foods, I tend to miss the crunch of a freshly tossed salad every now and again. To thaw winter’s nip while still using raw vegetables, I like to create seasonal salads that have a bit more heft to them, rather than forgo them altogether.
Keeping that ideal in mind, I wanted to create a salad that uses seasonal ingredients and is hearty able to hold up to a chilly autumn day. The perfect solution? A creamy, cabbage slaw made with farmer’s market blue cheese and a spicy, chili-rubbed shrimp topping. Warming, comforting, and filling, yet without losing the refreshing “crunch!” of raw vegetables. I love it!
To complement the flavors of the spice rub, I tossed the shrimp in our Lime Olive Oil—it brings out the zest of the chili powder. Toss these under the broiler, and in a matter of minutes, your salad has been tossed, and your shrimp is cooked. That’s it!
1 ½ cups shredded cabbage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ pound uncooked shrimp, peeled
2 tablespoons The Olive Press Lime Olive Oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat broiler. Combine cabbage and parsley in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cheese, juice, and cheese. Pour over cabbage; toss well to coat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together remaining ingredients. Arrange evenly on baking sheet and place in oven. Broil until shrimp just turn pink, turning once, about 4 minutes total.
- To serve, arrange shrimp over slaw. Enjoy immediately.
Makes 2 salad portions.