Recent Blog Entries
- Not Your Average Ketchup and Mustard
- Celebrating with Intention
- The Olive Press New Production Manager, Chris Gilmore
- Fava Bean, Ricotta, Mint and Limonato Fritters w/ Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
Winter Sausage and White Bean Soup
Posted by Olivia on Wed, February 20, 2013
This hearty winter stew was a casual lunch fix for us earlier in the month, and after posting a photo for it, our Facebook fans requested the recipe! Here it is—our take on the classic sausage and white bean soup dish. Enjoy!
This soup features hearty spicy sausage, tender white beans, and wilted peppery arugula. To complement these wintry flavors, we used our Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This olive oil is a longtime favorite among our staff and customers! It’s peppery, a bit nutty, and has a pleasing “green” taste.
We finished this soup off with a savory, spicy drizzle sauce made of Arbequina, Parmesan cheese, and Sriracha sauce.
Spicy Sausage and White Bean Soup
Inspired by White Bean, Potato, and Arugula Soup recipe on Epicurious.com
2 tablespoons Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for serving
2 spicy pork or turkey sausage links, sliced on the diagonal
1 large russet potato, scrubbed, diced
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
4 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock, to taste
1 (16-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
2 handfuls baby arugula, torn
Sea salt, to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
Sriracha hot sauce, to taste
1) Heat oil in a medium stockpot over medium. Add sausage slices and cook until browned and cooked through, stirring, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from stockpot with a slotted spoon; place in a bowl and set aside.
2) Add diced potato to stockpot. Cook until softened and golden, stirring to prevent sticking, about 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, and thyme to stockpot; cook until onions are softened, stirring, about 5 minutes.
3) Add stock to mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer until potatoes are very soft, about 10 minutes.
4) Add beans to mixture, along with reserved sausage. Cover and simmer until beans are very soft and sausage is completely cooked through, about 5 minutes.
5) Remove soup from heat. Stir in arugula until wilted. Season to taste with salt.
6) To prepare the drizzle sauce, whisk together Parmesan cheese, hot sauce, and Arbequina to taste in a small bowl. Mixture should be thick but pourable. Drizzle over hot soup and serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel