Recent Blog Entries
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Our Reusable Totes & Bulk Olive Oil Help You Stay Eco-Conscious
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
We’re Milling Citrus Olive Oils (and Cooking with Them, Too!)
Posted by Olivia on Tue, January 11, 2011
Olive milling continues full throttle here at The Olive Press, and we’re entering what is perhaps our favorite time of year. This week, we start milling our citrus olive oils, and here at the mill, we are about to experience the most divine aromas you could imagine!
You see, unlike most other citrus olive oils on the market, we make ours by crushing the entire citrus fruit right in with the olives --all of it goes right into the mill. Other companies simply add citrus “flavor” or “essence” to infuse their olive oil blends.
Why do we do it this way? The delicious essence of the fruit--the complex oils and aromatic compounds lies within the peel. When we mill the entire fruit, just like with olives, you get the purest, fullest range of taste and aroma inside the bottle. You’ve never tasted a citrus oil as genuine as ours—every drop of oil is filled with sweet, ripe citrus flavor.
This week our Olive Queen, Deborah, will be milling away at our first round of fresh citrus oils: Lemon, Lime, and Blood Orange. These citrus oils are perfect year-round for all things sweet and savory, whether tossing a salad or baking a pie. Need a little help with recipes? Here’s a roundup of some of our favorite citrus-infused recipes for you to try at home.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel