Recent Blog Entries
- Not Your Average Ketchup and Mustard
- Celebrating with Intention
- The Olive Press New Production Manager, Chris Gilmore
- Fava Bean, Ricotta, Mint and Limonato Fritters w/ Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Posted by Olivia on Thu, December 23, 2010
Fresh out of our ovens: a holiday cake that's not only made with heart-healthy olive oil, but also free of dairy products and eggs. That's right, a vegan chocolate cake! Whether you're entertaining a vegan daughter, a lactose intolerant uncle, or just a modern health-minded family, this cake is for you. It's full of flavor, coming from real cocoa powder, robust olive oil, and enhanced with a splash of brandy. This cake is a winner, whatever the occasion.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups organic cane sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups water
2 tablespoons chocolate liquor or brandy
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil two 9-inch round cake pans; line with wax paper, then coat with paper with oil and a dusting of flour.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. In a separate large bowl, whisk together water, oil, and liquor. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pans; bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert and remove cake from pan. Carefully peel off paper and cool completely on a wire rack.
Makes 2 cakes.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel