Recent Blog Entries
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Our Reusable Totes & Bulk Olive Oil Help You Stay Eco-Conscious
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
Shitake Mushroom-Olive Oil Bread Pudding
Posted by Olivia on Thu, June 17, 2010
Buttery Ascolano Extra Virgin Olive Oil and salty, nutty Parmesan make this simple yet elegant savory bread pudding a dish to remember. Serve it alongside roasted meats or with a green salad for a satisfying vegetarian meal.
1 baguette, preferably stale, cut into cubes
1 2/3 cup whole milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 shitake mushrooms, chopped roughly
leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup Parmesan, plus more for sprinkling
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch pie pan or 4 4-inch ramekins. Set aside.
Combine milk and eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Add bread cubes and stir to ensure all are thoroughly soaked. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add onions and cook slowly for 8-10 minutes. Increase to medium and add the mushrooms. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until mushrooms begin to shrink. Remove from heat.
Stir the onion-mushroom mixture into the soaking bread. Gently fold in the rosemary and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the bread mixture into the prepared pan or ramekins. Sprinkle with a pinch of Parmesan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until puddings set and the tops are golden-brown and crisp. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel