Recent Blog Entries
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Our Reusable Totes & Bulk Olive Oil Help You Stay Eco-Conscious
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
- Home >
- The Olive Press Blog >
- Recipe: Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli, Avocado, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Recipe: Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli, Avocado, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Posted by Olivia on Wed, September 12, 2012
This semi-homemade recipe is perfect for work nights when you’ve got lots to get done yet still need a wholesome meal. We’ve taken regular old macaroni and cheese and added lots of colorful vegetables to the mix to make it not only tastier, but more substantial as a full meal.
Inside the dish is steamed broccoli, which is a classic combo with cheese, and fresh avocados, which add a wonderful buttery flavor. Also in the mix are sun-dried tomatoes, which add a naturally sweet flavor—perfect if you’ve got kids at the dinner table.
We subbed olive oil for the usual butter that’s called for when you make macaroni and cheese, and we finished it off with just a squeeze of lemon juice for zestiness.
Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli, Avocado, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
1 box macaroni and cheese (we used an all-natural variety)
Milk, as needed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 avocado, pitted, cubed
1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
Black pepper, to taste
Squeeze fresh lemon, optional
- Make macaroni and cheese according to package directions. Instead of adding butter to mixture, add olive oil. Add amount of milk called for by package directions, and mix until smooth.
- Gently stir in avocado, broccoli, and sun-dried tomatoes. Season to taste with pepper. For a slight lemon kick, add a squeeze of fresh lemon before serving.
Makes about 4 servings.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel