Recent Blog Entries
- Not Your Average Ketchup and Mustard
- Celebrating with Intention
- The Olive Press New Production Manager, Chris Gilmore
- Fava Bean, Ricotta, Mint and Limonato Fritters w/ Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
Raw Chocolate Pecan Pie
Posted by Olivia on Mon, December 20, 2010
We’ve been bulking up our recipe database this month with holiday treats and desserts. Baking with olive oil is a fantastic heart-healthy alternative to butter or margarine, but we got to thinking: maybe we could take our recipes even to the next level? We’ve got a lot of enthusiastic olive oil supporters out there who follow vegan and raw diets, so why not create a few holiday recipes that would suit their healthy lifestyles, as well?
And that’s exactly what this recipe is: a chocolate pecan pie—not only made with olive oil, but made without baking. It’s a raw dessert! Never had a raw dessert? Now’s your chance to try one out—you’re going to love this. Instead of the traditional flour-based crust, this pie has a nutty, sweet crust made of ground nuts, dates, and cocoa powder. And Instead of a baked nut and sugar filling, this recipe uses a puree of nuts, honey, and cocoa—when it chills in the refrigerator, it sets into a raw cream pie filling. It’s a must-try for your holiday desserts this year!
2 cups cashews, soaked 1 hour, drained
1 cup pitted dates, soaked 1 hour, drained
1 cup shredded coconut
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 cups pecans, soaked 1 hour, drained
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup water
½ cup raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare the crust: Place all ingredients in a food processor; pulse until evenly crumbled and moistened. Press into a pie plate; set aside.
- Prepare the filling: Combine all ingredients in a food processor; blend until smooth. Pour into prepared crust and spread evenly. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Slice and serve.
Makes 1 pie.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel