Recent Blog Entries
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Olive Oil Scrub
- Springtime Vegetable Eggs en Cocotte with Harissa Morocco Spice Blend and Arbequina EVOO
- Italian-Style Salsa Verde from Vinaigrettes and Other Dressings by Michele Anna Jordan
- Roasted Asparagus with Walnut-Parmesan Crust
- Our Reusable Totes & Bulk Olive Oil Help You Stay Eco-Conscious
- Pie Crust Berry Kolackis with Lemon Glaze
COOC: Authentic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Certification
Posted by Olivia on Mon, August 01, 2011
Did you know that over 2/3 of imported olive oil producers make false claims of their oils being “extra virgin?” Researchers at UC-Davis found out this shockingly high statistic last year after running lab tests of common commercial olive oils found at the grocery store.
What can you do to ensure the olive oil you are buying is truly extra virgin? Look for the label of certification.
Created and certified by the California Olive Oil Council (COOC), the official Seal Certification guarantees that your olive oil is extra virgin, and by that, it means that your oil meets the following qualifications:
· Oil is extracted mechanically, without excessive heat or chemicals
· Oil contains less than .5% free fatty acid content
· Oil has positive taste elements, which are tested in a blind tasting by an approved panel
What are these “positive” taste attributes of a good olive oil? They range from fruity (which includes buttery, floral, and aromatic qualities) to bitter (which are pleasingly tart, acrid, or sharp) to pungent (those wonderful spicy, peppery, tingling qualities that linger in the mouth and throat.
We’re pleased to let you know that our olive oils are indeed certified by the COOC! With The Olive Press Olive Oils, you are guaranteed authentic, fresh extra virgin olive oil—every time, no exceptions!
Support extra virgin olive oil producers by looking for the COOC label, and as always, by supporting your local farmers and sellers. We’re here to give you a better product with results you can taste. Stay tuned to our Blog for updates on California olive oil standards, news, and cooking how-tos.
- Something About Sonoma
- Extra Virginity - Truth in Olive Oil
- Slick Extra Virgin
- Blog Well Done
- BrokeAss Gourmet
- Cooking While Eating
- Cooking with Amy
- The Endive Chronicles
- fANNEtastic food
- Let There Be Bite
- Kee Kitchen
- Modernist Cuisine
- Oxbow Public Market
- Tagami Food, Wine & Travel